Fusing Bullseye Streakies

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Patricia

Fusing Bullseye Streakies

Post by Patricia »

I have a customer who wants to have a bowl made out of Bullseye Streakies 3026-21. It lists as art glass versus fusible. I would like to know if it can be fused to itself to make it double thick. Any help would be appreciated.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

yes. i've done it. also, BE told me that their streamers and fractures/streamers which are not the fusible kind can in fact be fused onto clear fusible. i've done that too. i dont know about fusing the streakie onto fusing clear, tho. but to itself, should be no problem.
Cynthia

Re: Fusing Bullseye Streakies

Post by Cynthia »

Patricia wrote:I have a customer who wants to have a bowl made out of Bullseye Streakies 3026-21. It lists as art glass versus fusible. I would like to know if it can be fused to itself to make it double thick. Any help would be appreciated.
There's a lot of stuff going on in that particular glass. It's comprised of 4 colors isn't it? That's a lot of variables in one sheet of glass. If it isn't designated as tested compatible, all bets are off. You might be able to fuse it to itself, but fusing it to any other glasses is even more dicey. An art glass doesn't have to hold up to firing, nor meet any standards for COE, so it doesn't. The two color streakies are a safer bet...but it sounds as if this art glass is what your client wants.

That said, it may just work and you could end up with a pretty piece. The best results are usually gotten when you test the limits. Give a test piece a whirl. fire a small sample of two thicknesses from the same sheet together, and one with a fusible clear as the base and see what you get. Use an overglaze for devit too.

Hope it works out for you.
Kay McConnell

Post by Kay McConnell »

If you can fuse non-fusible Bullseye to a piece of clear fusible Bullseye, does the same work with Spectrum? Can you fuse a piece of non-fusible Spectrum to a piece of clear fusible Spectrum?
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I've been successful fusing non tested spectrum to other non tested spectrum, but ALWAYS tested first. Spectrum's irid. clear crystal ice tests ok with quite a few of the other non 96, but not all.

One thing I've noticed about testing is that a pull test IS NOT a reliable indicator of compatiblity. You have to do the test in your kiln.

...Kelly
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

what i said about fusing the non-compatible to a sheet of clear fusing glass is a special circumstance that BE told me would work.