New work from Tony

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Tony Smith

New work from Tony

Post by Tony Smith »

This is a piece that I kept under wraps until I could show it at WGW. As you can tell, it is the start of a series. Every aspect of this piece was sandblasted... at least 5 different sandblasting operations and two different micas. The names are the names of the named stars in the constellation Scorpius and the stars are in their correct positions with approximately correct magnitudes.

I hope you like it.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Tony,
All I can say is Stunning!

Michael
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Tony, I like it very nice! How big is it? I like how you used two mica's nice look. Very clean detail, as always seeing it in person would be even more stunning.....Claudia
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Tony......it's amazing what people are creating "at home" in their personal studios. The technique of this piece is high level.

Can't wait to see the rest of the series??

.....and are you a Scorpio? Gale
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Very impressive and beautiful Tony. I wish I could see it "in person".

Steve
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Tony, it's so realistic that I have this sudden urge to trap it beneath a coffee can and run around in circles screaming!

Jackie
dee

Re: New work from Tony

Post by dee »

Tony Smith wrote:This is a piece that I kept under wraps until I could show it at WGW. As you can tell, it is the start of a series. Every aspect of this piece was sandblasted... at least 5 different sandblasting operations and two different micas. The names are the names of the named stars in the constellation Scorpius and the stars are in their correct positions with approximately correct magnitudes.

I hope you like it.

Tony
WOW! Incredible!
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Bob

Post by Bob »

Tony,

The detail in the piece is incredible. The series will be a winner for sure. Please post more images as the sereis progresses.

Cheers,

Bob
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Thanks everyone... I am quite excited about the piece and its potential as a series.

It is 12 inches square, two layers and has several sandblasting steps to it. Since I was presenting at WGW on sandblasting for fusers, I wanted to design a piece that incorporated as many techniques and steps as possible. And to be honest, I couldn't have done it without all of you sharing your own work and ideas.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Truly wonderful piece. It's amazing what you have done with such simple materials. An inspiration to us all.

Please post the others as you complete them.........Jim
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Here's a little more detail of the carved scorpion.

Tony

Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Tony, this is the piece that when I saw it at the WG weekend I asked if it was really like the constellation and you said yes. Very impressive. I take it you are a Scorpio?

I just got my sandblasted piece out of the kiln. It came out as you said it would- lovely and luminous after a 30 min soak at 1150. However, it had some small scratches which I am guessing I must have made when wiping the sandblasting grip off it. I can't think of another way it could have happened. I am still happy with the piece, but it is not perfect. From now on I'll only wash the grit off with water unless you have another suggestion.

Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Leslie Ihde wrote:Tony, this is the piece that when I saw it at the WG weekend I asked if it was really like the constellation and you said yes. Very impressive. I take it you are a Scorpio?

I just got my sandblasted piece out of the kiln. It came out as you said it would- lovely and luminous after a 30 min soak at 1150. However, it had some small scratches which I am guessing I must have made when wiping the sandblasting grip off it. I can't think of another way it could have happened. I am still happy with the piece, but it is not perfect. From now on I'll only wash the grit off with water unless you have another suggestion.

Leslie
Hi Leslie.

It was nice to have met you last week. Yes, I am a Scorpio. I think this series has a lot of potential because people can relate to their own signs.

Water is the way to go when cleaning a piece after sandblasting. I flush with water, then use a small stiff bristle brush under the running water to scrub the sandblasted areas clean.

I'm glad you like the finish.

Tony
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

As an enamelist, I found Tony's new work to be very exciting. He can get very crispy graphics using his techniques. snap, crackle, AND pop! Oh - I forgot. Bob got the crackle not Tony.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Tony.... geez loueezey.... the dimension, the texture, the precision... scuseME I'm losing consciousness.
PDXBaaaaarb....
Barbara Bader
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Tony this piece is a wonderful piece and it was great to see it in person. I loved your optical illusion pieces too. Patty