Frax paper/ dams

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

watershed

Frax paper/ dams

Post by watershed »

OK this will involve your imagination. Imagine a series of cast rings. I want to pre cast the rings, polish etc. Then put these rings inside a vessel form. So you have a solid cast vase with rings inside.

The trick is that I want the rings to be a different color from the vase. They don't actually have to fuse to the vase, but I can imagine the machining to get the rings in IF I just cast them seperately.

My idea is to cast the rings, then make the wax vase, fit the rings with frax paper between the rings and the wax. Then after it's in the plaster, the wax would go, the frax would be bonded to the plaster.

Then when I fire it up, the frax paper would contain the rings while the mold fills with glass.

I would love to have the rings contained and fill the mold hot, but I'm willing to settle for filling the mold with frit, to avoid the Void , reduce the stress on the frax from molten glass (the rings) on one side and a void on the other.

Do I just have to submit to hours of dremel work, or is this possible?

Maybe I could use copper plates, but I still worry about leakage (and scale). And the copper plates would be another design element.

There are more ideas than time, but I'm focused on this one currently.

Thank for your help

Greg
rskrishnan

Re: Frax paper/ dams

Post by rskrishnan »

watershed wrote:OK this will involve your imagination. Imagine a series of cast rings. I want to pre cast the rings, polish etc. Then put these rings inside a vessel form. So you have a solid cast vase with rings inside.

The trick is that I want the rings to be a different color from the vase. They don't actually have to fuse to the vase, but I can imagine the machining to get the rings in IF I just cast them seperately.

My idea is to cast the rings, then make the wax vase, fit the rings with frax paper between the rings and the wax. Then after it's in the plaster, the wax would go, the frax would be bonded to the plaster.

Then when I fire it up, the frax paper would contain the rings while the mold fills with glass.

I would love to have the rings contained and fill the mold hot, but I'm willing to settle for filling the mold with frit, to avoid the Void , reduce the stress on the frax from molten glass (the rings) on one side and a void on the other.

Do I just have to submit to hours of dremel work, or is this possible?

Maybe I could use copper plates, but I still worry about leakage (and scale). And the copper plates would be another design element.

There are more ideas than time, but I'm focused on this one currently.

Thank for your help

Greg
I think a rough sketch would do wonders - I'm all out of imagination and need a re-fill !!
1. So is the vase a "solid vase" i.e. one big hunk of conical glass with the rings embedded within ??
2. Or are the rings on the outside of the vase and the vase itself is hollow ??

Option #1 is a LOT of work/trouble chances of crakcs appearing are HIGH to say the least - but it would be COOL !!!

Option #2 is decidely easier but a whole order of magnitude less cooler!

And then there's probably option #3 ==> what you originally had envisions which simply did not make it's way to my grey matter.
Krishnan
--
If I could I would, but I can't so I won't.
Still I love to cast glass ....
watershed

Post by watershed »

Kind of a cross between 2-3. A cast vase, with rings inside Hoizantally, kind of like clunky RISD rings. The more I think about it I may have to do it hot. Hey, there's an analogy. There's a child's toy that has various colored plastic rings, that you put on a post in size order. If I wanted to put those in a vase form, but keep their colors from mixing with the vase color.

Greg
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

I would just make your rings then invest them into the plaster core. You don't want them just 1/8" smaller than the interior of your vase, do you? If it's a solid core nothing should move. You'll have to heat it up very slowly to keep the rings from cracking.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Or maybe...
Between the rings, instead of copper sheets to seperate the layers use thin pieces of... Mold Mix 6! (I couldn't help it)
Zircarboy j.