using fiber paper to control the flow of a fuse

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SarahM.

using fiber paper to control the flow of a fuse

Post by SarahM. »

I am interested in maintaining a certain size circle during a fuse. I am looking for suggestions on how to secure strips of fiber paper around my circle in the kiln. I plan to prop the paper up with kiln bricks but fear that the glass still may push out or that i will end up with flat spots where the bricks were.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

In the image below, I precut a single thickness circle, wrapped it with 1/4" thick fiber paper then used straight pins to tie the ends together into an overlapping piece. Then I piled my cullet and other elements into the opening.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

If you have to use thinner fiber paper than Tony's using, you can just wrap your glass with the paper, (cut to the right length), then pile sand around the outside. You can also glue the paper to the glass with elmer's if you want it to stay stable while you load it into the kiln.

ch
charlie

Post by charlie »

if you're making a lot of these all the same size, you can buy a steel ring that you line with fiber paper to prevent sticking. look in the board's classifieds for a place to buy them.