Enamel medium for waterslide decals

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tsilvabarbosa

Enamel medium for waterslide decals

Post by tsilvabarbosa »

I've got some low fire dry enamels (thompson) to silkscreen on decal paper. If i use the Bullseye Glastac it won't work because its water soluble, I need to find a medium that will remain in tact while i submerge the decal paper in water. Paradise Paints fire to high. I'm wondering if acrylic medium will fire out ok. Any suggestions? :?:
Bert Weiss

Re: Enamel medium for waterslide decals

Post by Bert Weiss »

tsilvabarbosa wrote:I've got some low fire dry enamels (thompson) to silkscreen on decal paper. If i use the Bullseye Glastac it won't work because its water soluble, I need to find a medium that will remain in tact while i submerge the decal paper in water. Paradise Paints fire to high. I'm wondering if acrylic medium will fire out ok. Any suggestions? :?:
Squeegee oil from Thompson or Reusche or any other of many suppliers is what to use. it is a pine oil based formula made for silk screening or hand painting glass or china enamels.

I am slightly skeptical that the Thompson enamels are too coarse to work as decals. I can not tell you this for sure. Fine powder enamels do work though.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

If your enamels are the standard 80 mesh you will need a very coarse screen to push them through. Also, you did not mention if you have the liquid plastic clear overcoat material to apply ovet the enamel colors to slide them off the decal paper when you apply the decals.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Not only a coarse screen, a metal mesh that won't get cut by the grit of the Thompson enamel. I've got the Thompson stuff, have done lots of screen printing and wouldn't dream of using them , 80 mesh,with a regular silk screen. Thompson's will make a finer mesh if you special order it but I suspect you will have a long learning curve You need what is called cover coat. Some are not designed to be used by a hand silk screener and will dry/plug the cover coat screen in 30 seconds. Kevin
Nelson Tan

Post by Nelson Tan »

Hi. I did some experiment with enamel decals.

The Medium has to be compatible with the covercoat.

For screening enamel I use the polyester mesh 220 - 270.

For screening covercoat I use the 55 to 80 mesh.

Applying covercoat is the hardest part. It dries very quick and forms into web. I have to clean the screen every so often.

Hope this helps
Nelson