Cutting with Taurus 2

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Denli

Cutting with Taurus 2

Post by Linda Denli »

Does anyone have any tips or advice regarding gutting straight edges with this ring saw?

I would like to straighten the edges of some rectangular and square pieces after fusing and before slumping. The straight edge attachment for this tool is only useful if you are cutting pieces from a 'straight' starting point.

I have thought of attaching a steel rule to the glass with double sided tape to act as a guide but I'm worried that I might damage the blade.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Linda
Linda from London
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Linda, it might be possible to attach the straight edge to the edge of the glass opposite the side you want to cut with the straight edge extending out past the irregular edge of the glass so that it fits against the guide instead of the irregular glass edge. Be sure the straight edge is parallel to the cut you want to make.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
charlie

Post by charlie »

it's hard since there's no guide. you can use a piece of wood and a couple of c clamps to fasten a fence to the table. i'd suggest a tile saw if you're cutting long or lots of straight lines. it'll be cheaper in the long run, since you won't wear out the ringsaw blade as quickly, it'll be a better cut, and you won't have to coldwork the edge as much.
Chip

Post by Chip »

They also sell a straight-edge attachment for the Taurus. It comes in their add-on package, or "accessory kit" as they call it. You can get it for between $40-$50 us online.
Chip
Micah 6.8