Diamond Band saws

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rick Wilton

Diamond Band saws

Post by Rick Wilton »

Has anyone used either of the Denver glass Diamond band saws? I have a opportunity to purchase a used one at a rather decent price. I tried out this one and the performance wasn't what I expected, it was rather slow to cut a piece of 10 mil float. The blade looked worn out to me, but the guy selling it has never used it himself so didn't know if it used to work better. I've seen and tried some of the other dbs but they are more for 3-4 mil. I'm hoping to cut 10-19 mil. I use my tile saw for staight and outside curves but we need a better way to do inside curves.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Rick Wilton
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Rick,

I have the full sized Denver Diamond Band Saw and I love it. I bought it new 5 to 7 years ago (bought an extra blade just to be prepared if and when I ever needed it). I still have the original blade on the saw it and it still cuts glass like butter.

It sounds like the blade on the saw you tried out may need replacing or maybe even getting new diamonds applied to it (don't know if they do this with this type of blade - sometimes it costs more than getting a new one on some drill bits, lapwheel disks, etc.). Contact Denver Glass Machinery and find out the price on a new blade, may be very worth your money to buy this machine and get a new blade especially if you get it at a decent price. How does the motor sound? Some machines wear out quicker if there hasn't been enough coolant used while using the machine (or if they ran it without water). You can find out usually on the age of the machine with the model or serial # on the machine.

I cut lots of glass 3/4" to 1" with this saw and it cuts beautifully - of course when you cut thicker glass it is advisable to go a little slower to make sure the water is coming into the cut with the blade to keep the glass cool.

Good luck!

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Thanks Patty,

I figured that the blade was worn out. The saw seems to be in good shape otherwise. I think its probably 6-8 years old (guess) , it been collecting dust at it present location for at least 3 years and never used. This guy also has a couple of lap wheels and cork / felt wheels. Denver sold them as bevelers but most people use them for cold working hot/warm glass now. I working on getting a package deal.
Rick Wilton
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Somebody probably tried to cut metal with the saw and killed the diamonds.

Sounds like you're getting quite a deal. Congrats.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun