Gecko fusible

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nelson Tan

Post by Nelson Tan »

Hi.

We are all affected by the entry of cheap Chinese products.

I'm a Filipino Chinese. Grew up in Philippines and our company has to compete with cheap China products in all product lines. Stained glass, sand relief casting, shower doors, wardrobe doors, glass sink.

Tried a dozen approach to compete. The best solution we found out is to build your reputation. Your reputation becomes a "brand". Brand for quality brand for expensive "worth it" products. After sales service.

Focus on the high end market. China products are focused on mass produced items. High end market always wants to have a unique value added product.

Ready made art glass doors are flooding the market, and every year we see them close up shop. Client participation in the design stage is very important. Particiaption makes the client feel they made the art glass.

my two cents

Nelson
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Your 2 cents are worth millions, Nelson. :lol:
Deb
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

There have been several discussions of various forms of "fused batch" and/or "cullet" made specifically for re-melting in the studio. Some of this is/was coming from China, and early buyers were getting product not really ready for market.

Personally, at present I will stay away from this product, not because it's Chineese, but because of the "another COE to sort" and the "not certified by a proven vendor" issues.

I admire how much the Chineese glass producers have advanced in the past decade. Even the "dollar store" stuff gets better by the month.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I know of one studio here on the west coast that claims, using cullet they are having specially formulated and batched for themselves, to be able to use a wide range of COE colours and still have compatibility. Kevin in Tofino