fusing/slumping question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

archie

fusing/slumping question

Post by archie »

morning from Vancouver Isl

I have a couple of questions, any suggestions would be appr.
I have just fused my first pieces of glass together to later slump into a bowl-2 pieces of 9" circle, bottom slightly smaller with some smaller pieces on top of both for pattern
1. do most people heat the stainless form to app 500' and spray with a couple layers of kiln wash before using?
2. will the fused piece balance on top of the form long enough for it to slump as I would like the inside of the bowl to show the pattern side?
3. how the heck do you know you have the fused piece centered when you can't see through the glass to see the form?
thanks, archie
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Archie-Yes, you have to heat the stainless to apply the wash. I spray mine on, using at least 4 passes. If you have not fired the uncoated stainless first, do so and go to at least 1000F before applying wash. As to the slump, if it balances cold it will stay balanced hot. If your bowl form is bigger than your glass, just look down on it and insure that the same amount of form shows all the way around, and you'll be centered. If the form is smaller, use a ruler and measure the distance from the edge of the glass to the forms rim at the 4 cardinal points. Make this measurement the same all around by moving the glass and you are centered. Alternate way is to flip everything upside down, center your glass via first method, and carefully invert it, then hold steady and load in kiln. Good luck.
archie

s/s form

Post by archie »

thanks for the info, archie