BIG Bubble

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pat Donaldson

BIG Bubble

Post by Pat Donaldson »

We have been building a new house (yes, a new workshop!!!) so my kiln has been in storage for 8 months. I cleaned my shelf and put on new kiln wash (we have moved in) and fired four times. Last nite, I fired a single layer with powder designs (as I have done 4 times this week) and I have a huge bubble in the one last nite. Sked: 600dph to 1350, hold 10, afap to 900 hold 30 and natural cooling. I believe my shelf is warped as it sinks at least enough to put a piece of paper under a level(straight edge). Turned it over and it sinks in the middle on that side too, although not as much. What happened? Of course it's Sunday and no place to order or purchase a new shelf, and I thought I was going to get over my "glass withdrawal" and now I'm not!!!

Pat@aslowfuse.com :evil:
The Hobbyist

Re: BIG Bubble

Post by The Hobbyist »

My guess is the one layer. There is not enough glass to resist a small amount of trapped air. Sometimes you can get lucky but as a general rule a single layer is going to blow a bubble.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg