Metal for creating my own stands

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SandyS

Metal for creating my own stands

Post by SandyS »

Hi,
I'd like to create some simple metal stands for some of my pieces. The pieces tend to be about 3/4 to an inch thick. I am thinking of just using a 1 inch thick block of metal with small posts to hold the glass in place. Does anyone have suggestions on what kind of metal I should use? I've been browsing ebay for scraps and see "tool steel" that looks reasonably priced. Alloy steel seems to be another choice. I will borrow a metal press from a friend to create holes in the block for the posts, will the tool steel be too hard to punch the holes in? will it be discolored? I may use a patina to darken the steel a bit for some pieces.

Any suggestions or ideas are very appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandy
DonMcClennen

Re: Metal for creating my own stands

Post by DonMcClennen »

Tool Steel is quite hard. You'd be able to drill (not punch) holes in mild steel (sometimes referred to as Cold Rolled Steel) much easier. There are often metal shops that save their offcuts and sell to the public priced by the pound fairly cheap. Solid stock and hollow shapes present all kinds of opportunities for unique stand solutions. You will find interesting shapes and sizes available.
"The Glassman"
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

In fact, if all you want holes drilled in some kind of metal, find a small metal yard in your area, show them what you need and ask how much it'd cost to let you plow through their scrap, have a few pieces chopped and drilled. It might be surprisingly affordable. I have a yard do that stuff for me--the owner thinks I'm crazy because I ask him to deliberately do bad welds and such--but it's a whole lot cheaper, with less wear and tear on me, than if I tried to do it myself.

BTW, if you want to do it yourself with fresh stock, check out http://www.onlinemetals.com/. They have a good selection and reasonable prices, and they'll sell small quantities. I get stainless steel square bar there, wire it together for potmelt grids and such.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I would recommend checking out Paul Tarlow's e-book on stands (see www.fusedglass.org). It has lots of very straighforward information on doing what you propose. It is pretty cheap.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Judd

Post by Judd »

I bought a Lincoln wire welder from Lowes, and their square steel tubing. I've made a few stands and found it to be an increadible PITA. But, I have this really cool welder now.