slumping a sink

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

art4ul

slumping a sink

Post by art4ul »

Okay, I'm trying to slump an oval sink. Nothing too big. It measures 13" x 9.5" x 5" and 3/8" thick. First, time I fired to 1250 got a good slump going but not quite to the shape of the mold I was firing it into. Second time around I fired to 1350 and the glass ended up in a puddle on the bottom of the mold. Do I need to fire to 1250 and just soak the kiln longer or should I fire to 1300 and just watch the kiln like a hawk?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Go slow, real slow to 1000 and soak. Then take it to 1200-1250 and watch it. 20 to 30 minutes should do it.
Was the puddle interesting?
art4ul

Post by art4ul »

Hey Marty,

Thanks for the reply. No, the puddle was ordinary. How slow is SLOW? Are we talking 200dph or slower?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Slower- you've got a fair-size chunk of glass to slump, you don't want to risk thermal shock on the way up (or down for that matter).
I've recently had to mend my evil ways and slow down to less than 100dph on the way to 1000.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Marty wrote:Slower- you've got a fair-size chunk of glass to slump, you don't want to risk thermal shock on the way up (or down for that matter).
I've recently had to mend my evil ways and slow down to less than 100dph on the way to 1000.
Hey Marty, what about on the way down? Did you ever slow the cooling side of your schedule? By the way - your new work is fantastic! You were supposed to post here when you updated your site with those pictures, remember? Oh, and since I'm bitching anyway, you've had a PM in your box for a month. I was never planning to delete it because I just wanted to see how long it would take you to find, but it's driving me bananas! Just check that darn thing sometimes. And why can't you ever take out the garbage . . . oh! sorry!
Dani

Post by Dani »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
Marty wrote:Slower- you've got a fair-size chunk of glass to slump, you don't want to risk thermal shock on the way up (or down for that matter).
Hey Marty, what about on the way down? Did you ever slow the cooling side of your schedule? By the way - your new work is fantastic! You were supposed to post here when you updated your site with those pictures, remember? Oh, and since I'm bitching anyway, you've had a PM in your box for a month. I was never planning to delete it because I just wanted to see how long it would take you to find, but it's driving me bananas! Just check that darn thing sometimes. And why can't you ever take out the garbage . . . oh! sorry!
Gads. These are great... go take a peek:

http://www.kremerglass.com/newdir.htm

Did you make the mold for Ellipsis?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jackie Beckman wrote:

nag, nag, nag!
I do take out the garbage. And cook, and.... remember, I'm the mom here.
I got the messages- how could one get a pm from another BMD owner and not look?

and yes the way down is sloooooow too. Usually a total of 20 to 28 hours annealing and cooling to rt.

Dani- that mold is a secret (for now), a prime instance of cheatin' technology!
art4ul

Post by art4ul »

WOW!
Love your work Marty. I promise to go slow. This is the third attempt at slumping the sink, hoping that the 3rd time is the charm. By the way, how thick are your pieces?
art4ul

Post by art4ul »

Okay, did the third try with a bit more success, but not completely happy. Fused the three sheets of glass together first for 3/8" thickness-great! Made the mold for slumping into-also great. Took it real slooow to 1250. Okay. Let it soak for 25 minutes, lip starts to curl in. I'm not sure if I'm going to use this or not. I might just cut the lip off. Should I be slumping over the mold instead of into the mold? Any more advice?