Pinging glass after slumping

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marian P.

Pinging glass after slumping

Post by Marian P. »

I just took a glass piece out of the kiln after slumping it into the large organic mold. It's kind of 3 layers in that one piece is a flat coral design, the next layer is frit lace and the last layer is an irridized clear circle. All Bullseye glass. It slumped nicely using the following schedule:
250 - 1000 -15
100 -1175 - 23
AFAP - 900- 40
100 - 800 - 0
200 - 700 - 0
400 - 100 - off
I felt like this was a very conservative schedule so am very surprised to hear pinging. The coral piece was 11" in diameter and the lace and clear circle were approx. 10" dia.

I'm wondering if I can put it back in the kiln and refire up to 1000 F and then do a longer hold at 900F, perhaps for 60 min? That is provided it doesn't break before I get it in there again.
What do you think??
20170725_130913.jpg
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Pinging glass after slumping

Post by Brad Walker »

That schedule probably needed a longer anneal hold, at least an hour.

If the ping caused a visible break, then refiring to re-anneal won't heal the crack, you'd have to go higher. If there's no crack, re-firing and re-annealing should work.
Marian P.

Post by Marian P. »

So, same schedule just longer hold?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Yes, anneal hold at least 60 minutes, 75 wouldn't hurt. And I'd probably be extra cautious and go up a bit slower, say 200 dph (may be overkill, but why take chances?).

Piece looks nice.
Dick

Post by Dick »

the big thing everybody overlooks is uneven thickness. You always have to allow more time than the thickest part. When there is a differential between the thicknesses you can thermal shock it.