Portable pyrometer and temp chart

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kandy Crowe

Portable pyrometer and temp chart

Post by Kandy Crowe »

I got this pyrometer for Christmas and have been using it, but since there were no instructions whatsoever, I'm just guessing and writing down temps and results as I go along. I think I'm reading the 3-column temp chart correctly; is the middle number the one I go by on the chart (and the # I take from the pyrometer?) and then translate to Fahrenheit? Is there some kind of calibration I should do to the pyrometer? :?
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

The best way to test the calibration on your pyrometer is use another pyrometer you know is true and compare their readings in the same firing to test the second one. Another method (if you don't have 2 pyrometers) is to use a firing cone and compare the bend temp with your pyrometer to make sure it is accurate. Hope that helps. - Barbara
Kandy Crowe

Pyrometer

Post by Kandy Crowe »

Barbara Cashman wrote:The best way to test the calibration on your pyrometer is use another pyrometer you know is true and compare their readings in the same firing to test the second one. Another method (if you don't have 2 pyrometers) is to use a firing cone and compare the bend temp with your pyrometer to make sure it is accurate. Hope that helps. - Barbara
Thanks, Barbara. I'll give the cones a try when I do my next firing.

kandy :D