Kiln Paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

LindaJo

Kiln Paper

Post by LindaJo »

I have had trouble with my test fusing sticking to my kiln shelf. So I ordered some kiln paper. It is rough on one side and relatively flat on the other. I thought I would check with you guys first, as my inclination would be to put rough side down and smooth up. Am I in the ballpark here? Also, I thought I would cut the paper to just a little larger than the piece so I don't waste it.

By the way I have sort of got the 3 button Orton controller working the way I tell it to. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I just give up and shut the kiln down and reprogram. But I have the right instructions now and that really helps. It seems the kiln folks sent me the wrong instructions. No biggie.

Thanks folks,
Linda Jo
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

You can use either side. Depends upon what kind of texture you want on the glass. I prefer the rough side...more organic. Not better, just different. Prefire the binders out of the paper first (assuming it's not Thinfire). Otherwise you risk getting a haze on your glass.

Also, you can reuse the paper over and over (assuming it's not Thinfire), but it is a good idea to handle with care and to wear a respirator. Once the binders are burned off, the fibers are loose and can become airborne easily with handling.
LindaJo

Post by LindaJo »

Cynthia,
Thanks so much. I think I will give the texture a try. Prefire? To what temp?
Eljay