BE Kiln Wash

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susan Wright

BE Kiln Wash

Post by Susan Wright »

I opened up a sack of unnamed kilnwash. It turns a pinky purple when mixed with pinpoints of purple in it. Is this the Bulleseye kilnwash?

I have been able with my old kiln wash (old Duncan 400, I think) to get many firings with one 6-8 coat application, usually don't go over 1490. WIth this new wash I had sticking on the second firing. Is this normal?

I hate washing shelves and I have the old thin fire and not a big fan of it either. Really miss my old wash if this recoating every fire is the norm.

Susan W
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

My experience is that the kilnwash starts to break down after the second full fuse firing. I've cheated the BE kilnwash along and gotten 4 full fuse firings out of it, but with some sticking. The Hotline kilnwash was about the same.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brock

Post by Brock »

It totally depends on how hot you go, and what type of glass is against the shelf. I get MANY firings out of Bullseye kiln wash by using a black base blank, and never going above 1450. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

I'll try dropping back to 1450. The latest fuse stuck to the backs at one fuse. It was a bullseye denim blue color. I was trying to stay with my fusings at 1480 so that I had a standard for setting the Sunshine paints.

Susan W
gone

Post by gone »

Sounds like you had Hotline, which is more purple than the BE pink. In my experience, the BE holds up much better in multiple firings. The Hotline seems finer, but the BE leaves a shinier back. I do like hotline for molds though, leaves less texture.

Els
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

Thanks, I bet it is Hotline since I remember seeing a hotline box awhile back. Steve bought some stuff and I didn't pay attention at the time. I dumped this stuff into a tupperwear cannister seveal years ago and just uncovered it when I cleaned out a basement bay. I actually thought it was bead release and gave some to a new beader to try and then found a box of bead release that was supposed to do double duty but when I tried it it was to rough texture.

I did get it to act ok yesterday. I think I had tried this stuff 7 or so years ago and didn't like it thus the buried tupperwear and bought all the Duncan I could get then, just ran out this year.

WHen I reorder I'll get BE and see how I like it. Evedryone seems to like it.

Susan W