Marinite Board

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

quill

Marinite Board

Post by quill »

I just ordered dome stuff from Thompson Enamels & I noticed they had various sizes of 'Marinite Board' for sale.

I am not familiar with this & was wondering, is it useful in fusing, say for slumping molds or as a kiln shelf?
Bert Weiss

Re: Marinite Board

Post by Bert Weiss »

quill wrote:I just ordered dome stuff from Thompson Enamels & I noticed they had various sizes of 'Marinite Board' for sale.

I am not familiar with this & was wondering, is it useful in fusing, say for slumping molds or as a kiln shelf?
I'm surprised to hear that Thompson would be selling Marinite. It warps pretty badly at the temps we work at.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
quill

Post by quill »

It warps pretty badly at the temps we work at.
It was advertised for use with enamels not fusing, I just wondered if it would work with fusing.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

quill wrote:
It warps pretty badly at the temps we work at.
It was advertised for use with enamels not fusing, I just wondered if it would work with fusing.
Thompson enamels mature around 1400ºF which is similar to fusing. I wouldn't spend my money on another marinite board.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
watershed

Post by watershed »

A local shop used it for annealer doors. They won't use it again. They had 2 theories, either they fitted it too tightly, or it was just C**p. Either way it cracked badly, though it has not failed.

Greg
Jacques Bordeleau

Post by Jacques Bordeleau »

I tried it for a 24x55 kiln shelf years ago. It warped like a pototo chip, blistered, and cracked .... not all on the first firing. Pretty much sucks for anything above low-fire enamels 1100-1200 degrees. The factory couldn't believe it, since it is rated much higher (2,000?) and did replace the 4x8' sheet....which also failed. I still have one more piece leftover. I'm waiting for someone really smart to tell me how to use it without these problems....hahahahah. Save your money.

regards, Jacques