Help with edges, some spikes

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SueW

Help with edges, some spikes

Post by SueW »

:?: I have just starting using my Cress Kiln, and have managed to get some wine bottles with nice rounded edges, now I tried a platter which is fairly shallow shaped like a fish. I cut my glass accordingly and when fired I have very sharp spikes, but only on part of the sides. What did I do wrong. The mold is a clay one. Can anyone help. I live on a island so this has to be a self learn thing. Thank you
Carol

Post by Carol »

How many thicknesses of glass did you fire? One or two? It sounds like it may have been overfired on one side...that can cause little needlelike projections.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

If you are just starting out, I strongly reccomend Brad Walker's book, available for purchase through this website. reading that book will help you to understand a lot of what hapens when you fire glass.

Enjoy the ride!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Kitty

needle spikes

Post by Kitty »

maybe one side of your project was closer to the coils, and got too hot. i think we need a little more info, like what kind of glass it was, and the temperatures. i've got a small Cress myself. and greetings from one island to another. kitty.
SueW

sharp edges

Post by SueW »

Hello again and thank you all for your replies. I used only 1 layer of glass and it was textured. I don't know the brand name of this glass as it was a freebie given to me. It looks like it would have come from a store window. Amber in colour. I will look into purchasing the book. Thank you again Sue