Why wouldn't this %$#@! bowl slump

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Valerie

Why wouldn't this %$#@! bowl slump

Post by Valerie »

This is a cast bowl I made and I tried to slump it over a stainless steel
mixing bowl, properly prepped. This is a very heavy piece over #4
I had the Satin Finish tm on the side facing the slumping mold and so wanted to keep the temps down to get the same effect on the backside during the slump. I held this darn thing at 1150 for over 4 hours and all I got was this
cute wonky wave .... So what did I not do right? :shock:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ironlily1/ls ... wl&.view=t
Brock

Post by Brock »

For best results, try slumping INTO your mold. That way, (especially if you position your blank a little way down the interior sides of the mold) the blank is in compression from the sides of the mold, and a good, even slump will occur. Also, the interior, (viewing surface) will not pick up any texture from your mold.

Slumping over a mold normally leads to a wavy result, (which can be evened out with external pressure, or a longer slump) and is more suitable for making lamp shades.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

I think the bowl looks lovely as it is. I've seen blown glass bowls with a similar shape.

The slumping range goes up to about 1300F. I suspect 1250F to 1300F for about 45 minutes would have gotten more slumping.