Equipment question from a novice

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joanne Owsley

Equipment question from a novice

Post by Joanne Owsley »

Good morning! Could you tolerate another question from a novice?
My husband recently bought a Craftsman variable speed grinder. Is there any reason why I couldn't use this to grind the edges of my glass pieces? Is there a special wheel that I should purchase?

Thanks very much!
Joanne
Cynthia

Re: Equipment question from a novice

Post by Cynthia »

Glassyeyed wrote:Good morning! Could you tolerate another question from a novice?
My husband recently bought a Craftsman variable speed grinder. Is there any reason why I couldn't use this to grind the edges of my glass pieces? Is there a special wheel that I should purchase?

Thanks very much!
Joanne
You need water to cool the glass and lubricate as you grind, diamond or silicon carbide (might have that last one wrong) grinding pads, belts or disks to grind with. If the grinder will work with a water feed (must be made to work with water so don't try it if it isn't) and there are diamond surfaced grinding bits that can attach to the grinder, then I expect it might work...

My concern would be that it isn't intended to be used with water or on the materials you want to use it for. You really need something intended for stone or glass for best results. Check out lapidary equipment or glass grinding equipment to find grinding tools that will serve your purposes better.
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

I was afraid that might be the answer.
:(
Thanks, anyway, for your reply.