fibre paper Q

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bex

fibre paper Q

Post by bex »

whole of the country seems to have run out of bullseye thinfire which is wot i normaly use, no one has got any for at least 4 weeks, have an exhibition in 5 weeks, eeeeeeeek

supplier has 1mm fiber paper though, question is... a) is it as good as bullseye??

and b) do i have to prefire it to burn stuff off??
love bex :O)
Dee Newbery

Post by Dee Newbery »

I finally purchsed thinfire paper from another supplier. Absolutely do not like the stuff, however, it is my understanding that it is all that is available now.
D
Cynthia

Re: fibre paper Q

Post by Cynthia »

bex wrote:whole of the country seems to have run out of bullseye thinfire which is wot i normaly use, no one has got any for at least 4 weeks, have an exhibition in 5 weeks, eeeeeeeek

supplier has 1mm fiber paper though, question is... a) is it as good as bullseye??

I don't believe it is as smooth a finish if it's the felt like rough stuff. I like it, but if you don't want texture this isn't what you want. If you can use it, I suggest prefiring as the binders can haze your glass. Be careful with it after firing. Loose fibers will be present and you don't want to breathe it or get it on the surface of your glass to be fired.

I have a roll of Thinfire...so could probably help you out. How much do you need and can I get you what you need soon enough?

Let me know if I can help.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: fibre paper Q

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

bex wrote:whole of the country seems to have run out of bullseye thinfire which is wot i normaly use, no one has got any for at least 4 weeks, have an exhibition in 5 weeks, eeeeeeeek

Give me a list of the UK suppliers U tryed n I will try n add a few
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i have thin fire sheets. let me know if you want me to send U some. i'm not using it anymore. i can send you 10 sheets for free, if you like. kitty.
bex

Post by bex »

hi bri,
why oh why oh why
are you so shy,
i'd look you in the eye
or at least id try
if i werent so sly
good grief must have drunk far too much coffee this morning
knew the 8th cup was a mistake
:O)

tried bohle and james hetley, plus a couple of little stained glass shops and no joy, any ideas???

and kitty, that would be wonderful, but im in uk, would be more than happy to send you postage if you could help, think the 1mm thick stuff is just to thick cos its for incy wincy jewellery as well as bowls and stuff, panic starting to set in now (ahahahh cue manic laughter)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

yes, i saw you were in the UK. send me your address, and i'll send you 10 sheets -- or whatever. you tell me. i think i've got a mailing tube that will work. the thinfire sheets came directly from Bulllseye; this is the stuff that pretty much turns to dust after firing. how come it doesn't curl up and muck up your jewelry pieces? btw, living on this rock i am well aquainted with the difficulties of not having local access to key supplies. aloha, kitty.