diacroic glass in the microwave? Good or Bad?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deborahbur

diacroic glass in the microwave? Good or Bad?

Post by deborahbur »

If I am using small pieces of diacroic in fused plates, can they go in the microwave? :?:

Thanks
Deborah
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I know that metallic lusters can get ruined in the microwave...I turned a lovely gold luster pattern black in the zapper (I was treating fine porcelain china like it was stoneware). I don't know about dichroic glasses, but why don't you just put a small piece in the microwave to see what happens. You'll know pretty quickly if it is a problem. I expect the problem will be with the microwave and not the glass though.

When people ask me if my work can be put in the dishwasher I tell them yes, but why would they want to take that chance of etching or breaking the piece? My approach is that one should value the work highly enough that you wouldn't want to treat it like everyday wares.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

if the coated side is exposed, i think it will spark and vaporize in the microwave. i wouldn't do it. for a definitive answer, you could email that question to Coatings by Sandberg -- they're a sponsor of this Board, and you can get to their link quickly by clicking on the CBS Dichroic box at the top of the page. they will absolutely know the correct answer. i'd direct the question to Howard Sandberg or his dad. kitty.