etchworld sand etch...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

etchworld sand etch...

Post by lauren »

http://www.etchworld.com - sand etch sandblaster...

it's tiny and it's cheap so it _sounds_ ideal, but does anyone have any experience with this thing? i just need to sandblast really small things, 4x4" max....will this do?

also, as a possible alternative i was looking into etch bath dipping solutiob, but i was hoping to be able to fire my pieces after i etch/sandblast them to get that satiny look...would that work if it was a chemical etch?

thanksssss

peace
- l
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

It will work, but you'll outgrow it quickly and you'll want more.

With that said, try to minimize the amount of grit that gets all over the place by blasting in a cardboard box or storage tub. The clear tubs work better than the opaque tubs since they let light through.

Compared to setting up a sandblaster and cabinet, it's a small investment, so you should go for it. I don't know how long the cans of air will last... I can't imagine you'll get too many pieces out of a can, but I would be curious to know what you learn.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Dale Grundon

Post by Dale Grundon »

It is just a little better than etching cream, but for best results an air compressor is a big bonus. The can of propellent are handy but you can get better control with the compressor.

Be sure to use a partical mask when you use than.

Eventually you will probably want an upgrade.